- "Don't forget now: 1:15 am, Twin Pines Mall."
- —Doc on the phone
- "Doc Brown eased the venerable step-van onto the Twin Pines Mall parking lot shortly after midnight. There were more cars than he expected, so he pulled to the far rim of the asphalt area and waited. "Must be a long movie," he said to himself. "
- —From Back to the Future by George Gipe (quote, page 41)
- "A few minutes later, several dozen people emerged at once from the mall's interior and moved to their cars. A series of starting engines, blinking lights and squealing rubber enlivened the vast treeless plain for a few minutes. Then all was silence again. The faint smell of gasoline fumes hung in the thick air as the tiny specks of light disappeared into the morning darkness. In comparative solitude once again, Brown felt better. People made him feel vaguely insecure."
- —From Back to the Future by George Gipe (quote, pages 41 and 42)
When Marty traveled to 1955, he accidentally ran over one of a pair of pine trees in Mr. Peabody's front yard. When Marty returned to 1985, there was only one pine tree at the front of the mall and as a result the mall's name was changed to Lone Pine Mall.
This was also an important location because it was where Doc was shot by Libyan terrorists until Marty wrote the letter forewarning of it in 1955. Although Doc tore up the letter on discovering it, he later stuck it back together with scotch tape, read it, and subsequently wore a bulletproof vest on the night of October 26.
- 6 casinos
- 15 bars
- 8 gentlemen's clubs
Behind the scenes
- The filming location for the mall was the south-east side of the Puente Hills Mall in Industry, California, in eastern Los Angeles County; the mall has had major renovation in recent years and consequently, is unrecognizable from how it looked in the movie, however the parking lot remained largely intact. There is still black tape of some sort left on the parking lot, seeming to mark the fire trails and where Doc and Marty stood upon the first experiment.
- Back to the Future
- Back to the Future Part II & III
- Back to the Future: The Ride (Archive footage)
- Back to the Future: The Animated Series
- Back to the Future: The Card Game (Background of Time Car v1)
- Back to the Future: The Game (Shown in a dream in Back to the Future: The Game - Episode 1: It's About Time as Twin Pines Mall, and appears in the title menu of each episode.)
- Back to the Future (IDW Publishing)
- ↑ Back to the Future: Citizen Brown #2