The Pinheads was Marty McFly's band in 1985. They auditioned for the Battle of the Bands on Friday, October 25 in front of three adults and one student in the Hill Valley High School gymnasium. Their audition song was a hard rock version of The Power of Love, but the head judge told them to stop after playing just a short time, saying they were "too darn loud".
After failing the audition, his girlfriend Jennifer tried to convince Marty to send a tape of his band's music to a record company, but Marty doubted that he could take another rejection.
In the Animated Series, Marty and the Pinheads throw a free concert in front of the Courthouse, which gets thwarted by sudden inclement weather due to a malfunctioning invention of Doc's. (This wasn't too big a loss, as only a couple people showed up for the concert anyway.)
Behind the scenes
- The Pinheads were portrayed by Michael J. Fox (guitar), Paul Hanson (bass guitar, who was Fox's guitar coach for the movie and actually played Michael's guitar solo in this scene), Lee Brownfield and Robert DeLapp.
- The judge that stopped The Pinheads was played by Huey Lewis. This is ironic, since the song that The Pinheads were playing is a hard rock version of The Power of Love, a song released by Huey Lewis and the News.
- It has been theorized that Mr. Strickland shut the band down due to Marty's attitude. However this is unlikely as Strickland, while unyielding on discipline, isn't that petty.
- In a scene cut from the movie, Marty was at the desk in his room after dinner, putting his band's tape cassette into a yellow envelope for mailing, but changing his mind and throwing it in the waste basket before going to bed. This explains the yellow envelope Marty was holding, and was prepared to mail, when he discovered that his living room had changed after returning to 1985.
- Back to the Future
- Back to the Future: The Animated Series
- Back to the Future: The Game
- Back to the Future: The Game - Episode 3: Citizen Brown (Using Graffiti on a the wall leading out of the alley results in Marty spraying "Marty and The Pinheads.)