- "He [Doc] was dreamily anticipating public reaction to his coming experiment when he suddenly realized he had forgotten one of the most important tools to be used. / "Damn," he muttered. / Fortunately, it was 1985 rather than the old days when he would have been forced to find a public telephone booth somewhere in the mall. Reaching under the dashboard [of his step-van], he pulled out his telephone and began to dial."
- —From Back to the Future by George Gipe (quote, page 42)
A telephone, or simply phone, was a device for audio communication with other users of other telephones, while a telephone call was an audio conversation or message that could be sent and received using a telephone.
Known phone numbers
- 1931, Phone Booth of the Future: KL-4253
- 1955, Emmett Brown: KL 5-4385
- 1985, Jennifer Parker's grandma: (on-screen) 555-4823, (novelization) 243-8480