- " "Can you tell me where 1640 Riverside Drive is?" he [Marty] asked when the counterman finally looked his way. / "You gonna order something, kid?" / Marty shrugged. Why not, he thought, if it would get him some information. / "Uh, sure," he said. "Gimme a Tab." / The counterman sighed loudly, looked at him askance. / "You'll get that later." / "What?" / "I can't give you the tab unless you order something," the counterman growled. / Marty didn't get it but just decided to roll with the punches. "Then let me have a Pepsi Free." / "Kid," the counterman said, making no attempt to hide his growing irritation, "if you want a Pepsi, you gotta pay for it." / Am I slow, Marty thought, realizing that he had been trying to buy products which had not yet been invented. "
- —From Back to the Future by George Gipe (quote, pages 86 and 87)
- Marty: "All right, give me, uh, give me a Tab."
- Lou: "A tab? Can't give ya a tab, unless ya order something."
- — Ordering drinks at Lou's
Tab was a brand of diet soft drink introduced in 1963.
While in 1955, Marty McFly attempted to order a Tab from Lou's Cafe; however, Lou thought he wanted a restaurant bill also known as a tab. After that, he tried to order a Pepsi Free only to be told "You want a Pepsi, pal, you're gonna pay for it!"
Behind the scenes
- Back to the Future (Mentioned only)