The following events occurred on September 3.
- Marty McFly leaves the McFly Farm and walks roughly fifteen miles down the railroad tracks to Hill Valley.
- Marty enters town and goes inside the Palace Saloon asking about a blacksmith.
- Buford Tannen and his gang enter the saloon assuming he is Seamus McFly
- Marty angers Buford resulting in them chasing him through town and attempting to hang him from the new courthouse.
- Doc shoots the rope and saves Marty
- Marty shows Doc the photo of his tombstone.
- Marty tells Doc that he ripped the fuel line and they both realize that they may not be able to leave
- Due to these events, Doc does not pick Clara Clayton up from the train station