Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
- "Wow, you have two TVs? You must be rich."
Milton Baines was the second child of Sam and Stella Baines. He was 12 years old in 1955. In 1955, Milton liked to wear a coonskin cap, a fad inspired by the Davy Crockett film and television show. His mother, Stella took the cap off his head twice while Marty was eating dinner with the family, and Milton put it back on each time.
Behind the scenes
- Milton was portrayed by Jason Hervey, who was 12 at the time of filming. Hervey later had a role as Wayne Arnold, the older brother in the TV series The Wonder Years (1988-1993).
- The idea of Marty having an Uncle Milton may have been the filmmakers' reference to the popular 1950s television star Milton Berle, who often referred to himself in comedy routines as "Uncle Miltie". Similar examples can be seen in the names of Lorraine's mother (mentioned once when her husband shouts "Stella!!!") and in the credits for Sherman Peabody.
- In the animated series, Doc's son Verne Brown wore a similar cap in 1991, just as Marty's uncle had in 1955.
- Milton wasn't exaggerating when he said that someone with two TV sets must be rich. In 1955, the price of a portable television set, like the one that Sam had bought for his family of seven, was about $140, the equivalent of $1,000 fifty years later when adjusted for inflation (see "The Inflation Calculator"). A newspaper from the time mentioned the $140 set with a 17 inch screen, adding "weighing 80 pounds, equipped with hand grips on either side — it can be mounted on a rolling stand like a supermarket cart and wheeled from room to room as wanted" . As seen in Back to the Future Part III, Emmett Brown (who was rich) did have two television sets — one in his garage and another in the living room of his mansion.