- "So, you're my Uncle Joey. Better get used to these bars, kid."
- —Marty McFly
"Jailbird" Joey Baines (born 1954) was the fifth child of Sam and Stella Baines. He would grow up to spend many years in prison for an unknown offense. On October 25, 1985, he failed to earn his release on parole for at least the second time.
When Marty McFly traveled back to November 5, 1955, he met his uncle Joey at age 1 behind the bars of a crib wearing a black and white striped shirt. Stella noted that he enjoyed being in his crib, as every time they took him out he would cry.
In the 1985A timeline, Joey was still noted as being in jail.
It is unknown whether Joey was still in jail in 2015. A commemorative reprint of the USA Today front page from Part II, released on "Back to the Future Day", shows that Joseph "Joey" Baines was denied parole again (for the 12th consecutive time and was serving a 20 year term for racketeering. (Also, in a deleted scene from Part II, which was reinstated for the novelization, Marty of 2015 says "Mom, let's wait and see if Uncle Joey makes parole.")
Behind the scenes
- An early script of Back to the Future Part II showed that Joey, in his early teens in 1967, enjoyed locking himself in his room and eating nothing but bread and water.
- ↑ http://www.polygon.com/2015/10/21/9578593/back-to-the-future-usa-today-front-page
- ↑ Early script of Back to the Future Part II. Lorraine: Where's Joey? Ellen: He locked himself in his room again.
- ↑ Early script of Back to the Future Part II. Ellen: Mom, you know he only eats bread and water when he's up there.