The scene where Marty McFly finds his new Toyota in the garage and Jennifer Parker meets him at his house as Doc Brown arrives from 2015 was shot twice, for both the end of Back to the Future and the beginning of Back to the Future Part II.
The largest discrepancy between the two scenes was the replacement of Claudia Wells by Elisabeth Shue for the role of Jennifer Parker. There was much attempt made to replicate the scenes as much as possible, however there are slight changes between the original and the reshot version.
Differences between the versions
- Obviously the first is the replacement of Wells by Shue.
- Shue appears to be slightly shorter than Wells.
- Shue's hair is less frizzy than Wells.
- The background of the next door neighbor's house changes from a peach color to a faint yellow.
- The camera angle within the garage is wider in the sequel.
- Doc pauses a little longer in the second version.
- Marty is wearing a wristwatch in the second version!
Note: In the edited television version, Marty asks "What do we become jerks or something?" whereas in the unedited version of either original or reshot scene, Marty says "assholes" instead of "jerks". In the first version, Doc is quick to respond, "No, you and Jennifer turn out fine!". In the second version, Doc thinks about it for a moment, presumably aware of how their life turned out after Marty's car accident. Also the scene where all three are in the DeLorean has both Wells and Shue sharing the passenger seat with Marty, although Wells is a few inches taller in the car.
Additionally, for Part II, there was an addition to the scene with Biff Tannen witnessing the DeLorean take off, fly up the street and back, and then explode in light and wind. This scene sets up his motives in 2015.
A comparison of the two versions can be found on a YouTube segment called "Back to the Future: Dueling Jennifers"