- Doc: "No wonder this circuit failed; it says 'Made in Japan'."
- Marty: "What do you mean, Doc? All the best stuff is made in Japan."
- — Doc and Marty in 1955, while fixing the time circuits
The time circuit control microchip was manufactured there, although it is likely that it was heavily modified by Emmett Brown. The 1955 version of Doc could not believe that the part originated from Japan, especially considering America had just defeated them in a war ten years prior. He considered the part a piece of junk, and then became surprised when Marty McFly told him that in 1985, Japan made all the best stuff around.
- In actuality, starting around 1991 Japan entered a period of economic stagnation ("The Lost Decades") when its asset price bubble began to burst. As of 2012, the country still has not fully recovered from its early 1990s crash. This makes the common sci-fi convention of the time of Japan surpassing the U.S. as a Superpower particularly ironic.
Behind the scenes
- On July 13, 1993, the Super Famicom game Super Back to the Future Part II was released exclusively in Japan. The Nintendo company originated in Japan as well.
- The auto manufacturing company Toyota originated from Japan.
- Back to the Future Part III (Mentioned only)
- Back to the Future: The Animated Series
- "Dickens of a Christmas" (Holographic projection)