Isaac Newton developed the first working theories of gravity, and his three laws of motion were a major step forward in physics.
Emmett Brown had a portrait of Isaac Newton in his garage. Later in 1885, Doc named one of his horses, Newton. Doc's second son, Verne Newton Brown, was given his middle name in honor of the scientist.
Behind the scenes
- Doc's portraits are of Isaac Newton, Benjamin Franklin, Thomas Edison and Albert Einstein, each of whom can be said to contribute to his development of the DeLorean time machine in the form of physics, conservation of charge, electrical invention and the space-time continuum.
- One of Doc's exclamations referred to "Sir Isaac H. Newton". In Back to the Future Part II, when Doc returned for Marty and found the front of Courthouse Mall destroyed, he was heard to say "What in the name of Sir Isaac H. Newton happened here?" As with the expression "Jesus H. Christ", there is no "H" in Newton's name.
- The apocryphal story of Newton having "discovered" the theory of gravity after being hit on the head (by an apple) is similar to Doc's own inspiration for time travel and the flux capacitor after hitting his head on the bathroom sink (after falling off his toilet in 1955 while hanging a clock in his bathroom ).
- Back to the Future
- Back to the Future Part II (Mentioned only)
- Back to the Future Part III
- Back to the Future: The Animated Series
- ↑ "Number Two" script (see 'External links' below)