- "Boy, oh boy, Mom, you sure know how to hydrate a pizza."
- —Marty McFly
A hydrator was a device in 2015 that hydrated and presumably reheated dehydrated foods in a similar way to a microwave. They were voice-controlled, as Grandma Lorraine gave the instruction "Hydrate level 4, please!" aloud into a speaker grille on the device, and had at least four levels of hydration. After placing a four-inch diameter dehydrated pizza into Marty and Jennifer's hydrator for twelve seconds, Lorraine brought out a large pizza that was at least fifteen inches in diameter. The pizza was piping hot, but the metal plate beneath it was at normal temperature, as Lorraine was able to handle it with her bare hands.
According to a news story on the front page of the October 22, 2015 issue of USA Today, Ruby Lee Dontavich of South Hill Valley and two of her four children were injured when her hydrator exploded as she attempted to re-hydrate two pizza slices from the night before, trying to double the portions for the children's breakfast.
- There is still no known technology that could make a hydrator feasible. At the moment, dehydrated foods are still hydrated the old-fashioned way, i.e. with the use of boiling water.
- Back to the Future Part II (First appearance)
- Back to the Future Part II novelization
- Back to the Future: The Card Game