- "Boy, oh boy, Mom, you sure know how to hydrate a pizza."
- —Marty McFly
A hydrator was a device in 2015 that hydrated and presumably reheated dehydrated foods in a similar way to a microwave. They were voice-controlled, as Grandma Lorraine gave the instruction "Hydrate level 4, please!" aloud into a speaker grille on the device, and had at least four levels of hydration. After placing a four-inch diameter pizza into Marty and Jennifer's hydrator and a wait of twelve seconds, Lorraine brought out a large pizza that was at least fifteen inches in diameter. The pizza was piping hot, but the metal plate beneath it was at normal temperature, as Lorraine was able to handle it with her bare hands.Black & Decker made a model of hydrator, including the unit that was in Marty and Jennifer's home.
- There is no known technology that could make a hydrator feasible in two years. At the moment, dehydrated foods are still hydrated the old-fashioned way, i.e. with the use of boiling water.
- Back to the Future Part II (First appearance)
- Back to the Future Part II novelization
- Back to the Future: The Card Game