The Edsel was a make of automobile that was manufactured by the Ford Motor Company from 1958 to 1960.
The Edsel had a reputation of poor workmanship, awkward placement of the driver's controls, and highly unusual styling of the front grille and taillights. It was often the target of jokes since it was one of the biggest failures in automobile history.
As Marty McFly started exploring downtown Hill Valley in 2015, he saw a holobillboard advertisement for Goldie Wilson Hover Conversion Systems, which depicted an Edsel as a typical "road car" converted into a "skyway flyer".
According to the news story Auto rebels form organization by Steven Anderson, which appeared on the front page of the October 22, 2015 issue of USA Today, Maynard Hornbuckle III, the vice president for consumer affairs at the auto watchdog group Edsel Inc., and the person behind the auto rebels group, proposed that all United States citizens boycott automakers and refuse to buy a new automobile for the next three years, because he felt that car owners were not getting the value they deserved and the cost of owning and operating a family car was "absolutely astronomical". Hornbuckle had bought three Edsels when they were introduced in the 1950s, feeling that Ford had itself a winner, and was upset when the Edsel was discontinued three years into production.
Behind the scenes
- In the news story Auto rebels form organization on the front page of USA Today, 'Edsel' is misspelled as 'Edsell'.
- Back to the Future Part II (in front page newspaper story)
- Back to the Future novelization (Mentioned only)
- Back to the Future Part II novelization
- Back to the Future: The Animated Series (Mentioned only)
- Back to the Future: The Ride