- "Doc walked over to a large machine, and switched on what appeared to be a steam-powered motor. Wheels spun, gears turned, and a long conveyor belt jerked forward as smoke spurted from the top. What was Doc doing? Well, whatever it was, Marty was still going to make his point [about meeting the right girl]."
- —From Back to the Future Part III by Craig Shaw Gardner (quote, page 84)
- "The machine began to clang violently. What was Doc doing? / 'Marty, quick!' Doc barked, pointing at the lower left corner of the wildly vibrating device. 'Turn that valve all the way to the left!' / Marty did as he was told. The machine coughed, and a single ice cube dropped onto the table below. Doc dropped the cube into a glass and filled it with brown liquid from a kettle."
- —From Back to the Future Part III by Craig Shaw Gardner (quote, page 85)
- Doc: "Iced tea?"
- Marty: "No, thanks. (pause, as he realizes what Doc's steam-powered invention is) It's a refrigerator!"
- — Doc and Marty in the livery stable
The large, noisy, steam-powered machine took up an entire wall of Doc's livery stable. While Marty McFly was in discussion with him, the machine's steam whistle blew and Marty was instructed to turn a valve. Out of a spout on the machine came a single brownish ice cube, which Doc then dropped into his beaker of tea.