- "Brother Dave, twenty-one, sat [at the dinner table] opposite him [Marty], wearing a Burger King uniform. He kept one eye on the clock and the other on his food, which he wolfed down in large sections, swallowing like a half-starved animal."
- —From Back to the Future by George Gipe (quote, page 34)
- "See you later, pa. Time to change that oil!"
- —Dave to his father
Dave was quite laid back, and liked to laugh at his own jokes. He had a close bond with his father in nearly all timelines, and was probably the McFly sibling who got along with George the best. Dave liked to watch The Honeymooners with his father and had no real interest in sports.
In the first timeline, (October 25, 1985), Dave was working at Burger King where he may have been working for some time. Dave may have had to catch the bus to work (although in the novelization, he did own a tatty old car, much to the envy of Marty), suggesting that he could not afford a car and/or the insurance for one on his wages. The job suggested that Dave may not have done that well at school, or he may have been bullied like his father before him.
After Marty returned to 1985 from 1955, he found that his actions in the past had altered the lives of his family. Presumably due to having more confident parents, Dave had done much better in his life in this timeline and now worked in an office, for which he had to wear a suit. It would appear though that even in this timeline, Dave did not have a car, as he seems annoyed when Marty thought that the family car was wrecked (which it was in the original timeline). Presumably, he had moved out of his boyhood home, and was only stopping by for breakfast.
In the 1985A timeline, Biff had become rich (due to a sports almanac given to him by his 2015 self in 1955) and was the McFly siblings' stepfather after murdering George and marrying Lorraine. Biff said that if Lorraine left him, he would have "Dave's probation revoked" — indicating that Dave had been in trouble with the police, which Biff owned.
After Marty successfully managed to set history right by taking the almanac off Biff in 1955, Dave reverted to the office worker that he was before, and was seen by Marty briefly as the family headed out to lunch.
In the 1986B timeline, Dave had likewise left Hill Valley and worked at a big city newspaper.
Behind the scenes
- Dave's original place of employment prior to Marty altering the past was McDonald's rather than Burger King.
- Dave did not appear in the finished version of Back to the Future Part II, although he was mentioned by Biff Tannen in 1985A. However, Dave does appear in a scene cut from the film — but reinstated for the novelization — where it is revealed that he is an alcoholic (like his mother in the original timeline in the first film). He does not appear to have much contact with his family, possibly due to Biff, although he is pleased to see Marty ("our" Marty, not the Marty native to this timeline) in Courthouse Square. The scene was cut from the film for time reasons, plus there was no similar scene for Linda (as the late actress Wendie Jo Sperber was pregnant at the time and unable to film).
- The reference to Dave working at a big city newspaper in the 1986B timeline in Back to the Future: The Game - Episode 3: Citizen Brown is an in-joke which refers to Marc McClure's role as Jimmy Olsen in the Superman film series.
- Back to the Future
- Back to the Future Part II (Mentioned only)
- Back to the Future Part III
- Back to the Future: The Card Game
- Back to the Future: The Game
- Back to the Future: The Game - Episode 2: Get Tannen! (Mentioned only)
- Back to the Future: The Game - Episode 3: Citizen Brown (Mentioned only)
- Back to the Future (IDW Publishing)
- Harold McFly (paternal medieval ancestor)
- Jennivere McFly (paternal medieval ancestor)
- Martin McFly (paternal great-great-granduncle)
- Pee Wee McFly (paternal great-granduncle)
- Seamus McFly (paternal great-great-grandfather)
- Maggie McFly (paternal great-great-grandmother)
- William McFly (paternal great-grandfather)
- Arthur McFly (paternal grandfather)
- Sylvia McFly (paternal grandmother)
- Sam Baines (maternal grandfather)
- Stella Baines (maternal grandmother)
- Milton Baines (maternal uncle)
- Sally Baines (maternal aunt)
- Toby Baines (maternal uncle)
- Joey Baines (maternal uncle)
- Ellen Baines (maternal aunt)
- George McFly (father)
- Lorraine Baines McFly (mother)
- Danny Parker Jr. (uncle-in-law)
- Linda McFly (sister)
- Marty McFly (brother)
- Jennifer Parker (sister-in-law)
- Marlene McFly (niece)
- Martin McFly, Jr. (nephew)
- Marta McFly (great-grandniece)
| The McFly Family|
Marty McFly | George McFly | Lorraine Baines McFly | Jennifer Parker | Seamus McFly | Maggie McFly
Dave McFly | Linda McFly | Martin McFly, Jr. | Marlene McFly | Arthur McFly
| The Brown Family|
Dr. Emmett "Doc" Brown | Clara Clayton Brown | Jules Brown | Verne Brown | Einstein
| The Tannen Family|
Biff Tannen | Buford Tannen | Griff Tannen | Irving "Kid" Tannen
| The Strickland Family|
James Strickland | Roger Strickland | Irene Strickland | Edna Strickland | Gerald Strickland
Match, Skinhead & 3-D | Goldie Wilson | Douglas J. Needles