- " 'Here,' he [Marty] almost shouted, plugging his card into the slot in his brief-case as the lights along the side flashed his personal code. 'Scan it! I'm in!' / Needles did just that. Marty heard a quick series of electronic tones as his bar codes were recorded on the deal."
- —From Back to the Future Part II by Craig Shaw Gardner (quote, page 87)
- "Marty took a deep breath. Well, that was that. He hadn't really meant to go along — there were all these complications that the rest of the guys had sort of ignored. But Needles had called him chicken — nobody called him chicken! — and he was in. / His card had been scanned and put on record. There was no turning back — and maybe Needles was right — maybe his future road was paved with gold."
- —From Back to the Future Part II by Craig Shaw Gardner (quote, page 88)
A credit card was a card used as a system of payment, which allowed the cardholder to buy goods and services on their promise to pay later.
In 2015, Marty McFly had a CusCo credit card, which he used on October 21 when Douglas J. Needles convinced him via a video telephone call to join in on an illegal transaction that would apparently make more money. However, their boss, Ito T. Fujitsu, was monitoring the scan and fired — or “terminated” — Marty from his job, sending a fax stating “YOU'RE FIRED!!!”
The credit card was white with the CusCo logo at the top and a barcode along the bottom, but had no EMV chip — indicating that it was not a smart card.
Behind the scenes
- It can only be assumed that credit cards in the 2015 of Back to the Future Part II had the usual magnetic stripe, signature strip and card security code on the reverse side, since only the front of Marty's CusCo credit card is seen on-screen.