The crash test dummies were actors who demonstrated to time travel volunteers via a short film shown on video screens at the Institute of Future Technology the safety tips for traveling in the 8-passenger DeLorean, which were narrated by a male announcer's voice.
The safety tips film was introduced by Heather, the I.F.T. public relations representative.
The safety tips
- "Here are a few safety tips you should know before taking off."
- —Heather introduces the safety tips film
- (Note: The film's on-screen action and narration run concurrently.)
- Watch your head as you step into the time travel vehicle.
- Once in, slide to the furthest seat.
- Adults — watch your head as the ceiling slopes down in the back [of the time vehicle].
- Remain seated. The safety restraint will be activated by one of Doc Brown's assistants.
- Keep your arms and legs away from the door.
- Take extra care that cameras and other personal belongings do not interfere with the safety restraint.
- No photography is permitted during the ride.
- And please — no smoking, eating or drinking while inside the time vehicle.
Behind the scenes
- The identities of the actors who played the crash test dummies remain unknown.