Franklin was one of the first to understand the forces of electricity as seen in lightning.
Behind the scenes
- Doc's portraits are of Isaac Newton, Benjamin Franklin, Thomas Edison and Albert Einstein, each of whom can be said to contribute to his development of the DeLorean time machine in the form of physics, conservation of charge, electrical invention and the space-time continuum.
- Franklin is the only historical figure encountered by the time-travelers during their journeys throughout history. The only other figure depicted in the series is Caligula, but neither the Browns nor Marty actually meet the future Roman emperor.
- In the episode, "Go Fly A Kite", Verne Brown (mistakenly) claims that he is Franklin's son, and attempts to take up residence, particularly after being told to "Go home!!". Franklin actually did acknowledge fathering a child (William Franklin) out of wedlock. In 1752, Franklin's only daughter, Sarah, was 9 years old, a year older than Verne's age in the series.
- Back to the Future (Portrait)
- Back to the Future Part III (Portrait)
- Back to the Future: The Animated Series