August 17 is the 229th day of the year.
- 1786, Thursday: Davy Crockett is born in Limestone, Green County, US.
- 1896, Monday: Leslie Groves, the major general of the United States Army who led the Manhattan Project, is born.
- 1931, Monday: Marty McFly arrives on this day at 5:00 AM to find the elder Doc Emmett Brown before his death on the following day. He discovers his friend is in prison and is instructed to find the younger, residential version of Emmett to help him complete his rocket-powered drill. In the process of doing so, Marty gives a subpoena to his grandfather Arthur McFly, prompting Kid Tannen to arrange for the latter's death. Marty is successful in freeing Doc, only for them to discover of Arthur's death.
- Marty returns to this day earlier to save his grandfather from being murdered by Kid.
- 1969, Sunday: Woodstock continues at Yasgur's Farm.
- 1930, Sunday: Charles L. Campbell (Sound editor for Back to the Future and voice for the KKHV weatherman in 1955) is born in Detroit Michigan.
- Back to the Future: The Animated Series
- "Retired" (Mentioned only)
- Back to the Future (IDW Publishing)