1996 was a year in the 20th century.
- Saturday, June 1: This was the date 1986A Biff Tannen planned to visit using Doc's time machine in order to retrieve information about investment from the future that would help him get elected President of the United States in 1988.
- Dates unknown
- The McFly family took a vacation this year and documented it on a videobook.
- Griff Tannen was born to Biff Tannen Jr. and an unnamed woman.
- (Possible) Marlene McFly was born to Marty McFly and Jennifer Parker.
- At the end of Back to the Future Part III, Emmett Brown is biologically the same age as he would be this year had he not time traveled. This is because he spent eight months in 1885 before Marty arrived in that year (at which point he was biologically in 1986), and then did not complete the Time Train until a decade after Marty returned with the DeLorean back to 1985. However, it should be noted that it is unspecified how much time the Doc spends in 2015 by himself before coming back for Marty and Jennifer, and that the rejuvenation clinic from the future added "30 to 40 years" to his life, thus making him significantly different biologically than he would be in 1996 by default.
Behind the Scenes
- Originally, it was theorized that, in what is now considered Timeline 8, Lorraine Tannen shoots and kills Biff during this year, thus explaining why, in a deleted scene from Back to the Future Part II, Old Biff is erased from existence upon returning to 2015. In Back to the Future: Biff to the Future 6, it is revealed that Biff is instead killed by his great-grandfather, Buford Tannen, after Doc Brown sends him back to 1884. Although Lorraine does still shoot Biff, this occurs in 1986 instead of 1996, and her bullet ultimately does not kill him because he uses his payoff book as a bulletproof vest.