1996 was a year in the 20th century.
- The McFly family took a vacation this year and documented it on a videobook.
- Griff Tannen was born to Biff Tannen Jr. and an unnamed woman.
- (Possible) Marlene McFly was born to Marty McFly and Jennifer Parker.
- (1985A Timeline, possibility) Lorraine Tannen shoots and kills her husband, Biff.
- At the end of Back to the Future Part III, Emmett Brown is biologically the same age as he would be this year had he not time traveled. This is because he spent eight months in 1885 before Marty arrived in that year (at which point he was biologically in 1986), and then did not complete the Time Train until a decade after Marty returned with the DeLorean back to 1985. However, it should be noted that it is unspecified how much time the Doc spends in 2015 by himself before coming back for Marty and Jennifer, and that the rejuvenation clinic from the future added "30 to 40 years" to his life, thus making him significantly different biologically than he would be in 1996 by default.