1989 was a year in the 20th century.
- Unknown date: In 1989, in Hill Valley, California, two young men discovered and stole Doc Brown's DeLorean time machine and used it to travel to 2015. They asked a police officer where they could find pizza, and she pointed them to a Pizza Hut restaurant.
Behind the scenes
- Unknown dates:
- Sunday, February 5: Bakku tou za fuyucha, the Japanese dubbed version of Back to the Future, premieres in Japan on TV Asahi.
- Saturday, June 3: Ayatollah Khomeini passes away.
- Wednesday, November 22: Back to the Future Part II is released in theaters in the United States.
- Wednesday, December 20: Retour vers le futur 2, the French dubbed version of Back to the Future Part II, is released.
- Monday, December 25: Back to the Future Part II released on VHS & Laserdisc.